Friday, February 4, 2011

Food...


Peanut Butter M&M's
Eating habits gone awry 

Living in Congo for a number of months at a time has always left me with cravings for food that I can't get there. Things that make me miss the States just a bit more...

For example:






Alfredo sauce - for pasta!

REAL cheese... 
From Wisconsin, of course!




Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - so easy to cook!

Warm (or any!) chocolate chip cookies, baked in an oven 
 
Cold water (no ice, please)
  
Thai food... Any kind! 

I scream you scream... 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And while here, I also miss some of the food that we have there... Which no matter how hard I try, either cannot be had here in the USA, or it really just doesn't compare to the real thing.

Passion fruit

Until you try a ripe pineapple... You don't know what you're missing!
Nyama choma (roasted meat) - pictured with chapati and cabbage

Chai (tea) - with biscuits! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've attempted to make Congolese food - such as shu (cabbage), chapati, beans fried plantains, meat... But it just isn't quite the same!
It's a heck of a lot easier to cook on a gas stove! 

Thankfully, I've had the things that I crave while in Congo... a number of times these last few months. And probably more that I can't even think of right now. I actually haven't had too many peanut butter M&M's... But that can always be fixed! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of the cravings for American food (if it can be called that), WHILE being here in the States, as odd as they may be: 
Grapefruit!
Hot dogs!


Sweet carrots

Yum!


And what did I have for lunch today? 
      A "batter wrapped hot dog on a stick."

Yep.
I may need help. 

No comments: