Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Congolese Realities

Argh, I hate loosing my work! I had written a post and it got deleted! Well, I am now going to attempt to write my update… Again! :)

Monday was our first day of classes. It was wonderful to see so many students coming into the building, ready and excited for their first day. So many smiling and happy faces – ready to learn! Sitting in on Dr Kasali’s course, “DRC Realities,” I noticed a few things:

Doors would be really good to have on the classrooms. It’s incredible how much sound is in this building and how much of a difference doors would make in the classes. The sounds of students in the hallway just pours into the classroom. And it was quite easy to realize that the faculty nearly had to shout, in order to be head by their students.
They are hungry! It is a long day to be sitting in class with nothing to eat to carry you from morning to evening…
The faculty have a big task… We all do. There are many students, about 140, and just 12 teaching faculty and staff. Thank God we will be joined soon by Justin and Luke, so we’ll be at a ratio of about 14 to 140!

So now things are underway… And even as I write this, there is a group of men outside behind our building, and they are cutting down all of the tall grass and brush. This is so that when we are joined later this week by our architect from the US, we can begin to lay the foundation of the next building here at UCBC. It will be a community center, one that has many classrooms. And classrooms are needed! This is a great need and I ask that you would be praying for us as we try to raise the funds necessary for this building. Without it, we will not have the space to hold classes for another incoming year of students in 2009-2010.

Now I have two small children who have wandered into our building… They are speaking to me in Swahili and asking me for things… I keep saying “Sielewi” – “I don’t understand.” Or “Nina jifunza Swahili,” which means, “I am learning Swahili.” But they still keep speaking to me and wanting something! Hahah! One day I’ll be able to understand and respond back to them! For now, I just keep saying “hapana” to say “no” because I think they want some of the things here in the office! Wow.

So this morning I was awakened at about 5 am when I heard Dr Kasali laughing... I was confused, and then I realized that I could hear the generator going... Which I knew meant that they were watching the results of the US election... So I got up and like a good American (who failed to vote!), I watched as the news came in... We saw McCain's concession (I was impressed by it, I found it to be well-spoken and good content), Obama's acceptance, and then we went to work! It was incredible to witness these historic events... The impact this election has for the history of our country and its people - is so significant. Anyway I am starting to ramble...

Oh wow, these kids have brought more with them! I have an audience now of five… All wanting something and just staring at me, watching me work!!

Ok well I must work (and find someone to shoo away these kids who think I’m a movie), but I wanted to send a quick update. Things here are still fine… We hear of fighting and clashes around Goma. But it is quiet and calm here.

With Love,
Bethany

5 comments:

Jerry Price said...

Oh what we take for granted. Something as simple as "doors!" I'll pray for either stronger voices for the teachers or better hearing on the part of students. Or, for doors. On the American President: Interesting days ahead. I've said to some here that Obama is in the White House but God is in the BIG HOUSE! He's in control, even if you don't have doors. :)

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha... Kids are looking at you like you're a movie Bethany!!!!Hahahah. Take care girl n thanks for the updates. Aaron

Audra Ohm said...

The story about the kids is halarious! Love it, they were just standing there staring at you. Well I am glad you got to watch the election!

Anonymous said...

Bethany,

Thanks for the update. Different world from Westminster Place or TIU!

It sounds as if God has some special things in mind for you...I know He will use you to impact many lives.

Election night was a tough one. At times like this I have to keep repeating Rom. 3:12. :)

Your Brother in Christ,

Dave

The Chicken Lady said...

Good luck learning the language! Hey, you could learn to say "show me" and that might help. :) As long as you know "where's the bathroom", you'll be ok. :) hugs and prayers!!