Thursday, November 20, 2008

Encouragement

Well today is another day here at UCBC!

This week we are sort of back to normal… I’m still trying to figure out what a normal week is! Classes are moving forward, professors are giving quizzes, and we’re waiting for the rain to bring the dust down! I’m told that even though the roads seem dusty, that it’s nothing compared to the days when we’ll be without rain for 10 days… It’s only been two days without rain so far and we are seeing clouds of dust all over the roads.

But it’s been really nice here the past few days… Today it’s a bit cooler, but even on Sunday after church, we walked home. It was nice to be in the sun and in the fresh (and dusty!) air… It must have been about 90 in the sun though! Walking home with the sun on my back was good – and wow, were we hot!

Well it has been a surprising blessing to have Laura, Justin and Luke here. I didn’t know how much I had been in need of just a little interaction with people my age… And we’ve watched a few episodes of the Office! By the way… if this trend continues, I may end up becoming a fan of that show! Hahah. But on Sunday, the four of us spent a good amount of time playing a game of cards. It was called "Tonk" and I happened to win (graciously, of course!), to one of my new brother’s chagrin ;) Wow it was good to play cards though… So relaxing and it just really seemed to prepare me for the week and gave me so much rest! It was a fantastic way to end the day! This week has been good… We had visitors from Goma this week. It was good to meet and spend time with Christina and Chelsea… Not only did we get to hear a little more about Heal Africa, where they work, and the situation in Goma, but we spent last night making quesadillas and tortilla chips! Wow, what a treat!! All six of us muzungus went to work preparing for our dinner... Four hours later - we ate! :) It seemed like such a good idea to have a little grease and oil in my system… But boy did I have heartburn later on that night!! At any rate – I know that I have girls in Goma who I can always call on while I’m here, and even people that I’ll know and enjoy, whenever I get to Goma (which won’t be anytime soon, don’t worry Mom!). I feel so fortunate to have received so much encouragement this week. It wasn't always intentional and I don't know if people even realized how encouraging they were to me. But it's these small blessings that I cherish and am so grateful to receive!

Speaking of Goma, we still have quiet and calm here. There are still heartbreaking stories coming from the south, but we have not lost hope. The people are hopeful, especially as we hear that Nkunda is withdrawing troops.

Please continue to pray for the people of Congo and for UCBC.

And enjoy the photos :) This one here is of one of the bugs that Grace found outside last night... They were huge!!! And I think they sting... I don't know why they showed up in the grass or what their purpose is... But I'll stick to killing small insects and leave these big suckers to the boys!

With love,
Bethany








YUMMMM

3 comments:

Audra Ohm said...

Oh YUCK!!! Those bugs are HUGE!! :) I dont know if I could do it bethany! ha. I am so excited you have some interaction with people our age, that is awesome! And YUMMMM the food looked so good! Wishing you well and praying for you!!
Love Audra

baraka said...

Impressive photos...I've been keeping up with Christina's blog for the last year and she seems like an amazing person

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you~!