Monday, January 5, 2009

Mwaka mupia mwema!

Happy New Year - 2009 !

Hello! I write this at the end of our Christmas vacation. Today is Monday, January 5, and classes resume again on Wednesday. We have had a good break…lots of cooking, cleaning, washing, playing cards, eating, talking, laughing, watching American football on TV, walking, playing soccer and resting.

Christmas was a time of family, food and fellowship at the house. We went to church on Christmas morning, after getting up early to cook, after staying up super late on Christmas Eve baking! We came home and cooked some more and had a great time with many members of the Kasali family.

We went to Oicha a few times to visit family… Every time there has been so enjoyable – lots of laughter and many memories were made.

New Years Eve we were all in bed before 12am, but spent the evening together talking and listening to all of the shouting and music outside. New Years Day we had a relaxing morning and went to church in the afternoon at UCBC. Afterwards we visited a few people in Beni and went home to share a meal together.

The next day, we were in Oicha again for a wedding celebration. Actually it was the send off party for the bride... An expensive trend but one that most families are doing now. However, it was a lot of fun to be there with everyone.

Luke has returned from London – we missed him, but aren’t jealous of the cold weather he had to deal with for a week! He returned on Saturday and that night we spent time thanking God for 2008 and sharing thoughts about the past / expectations for the future, for 2009.

Yesterday after church (yep, we’ve been going to church a lot, what with these holidays!), we returned home to see a yard full of guys… Many cousins between 14 and 20 were in the yard… And soon there was a 5 on 5 match of soccer… There are about six newly planted, small trees in the yard… I saw a few get smashed, I wonder how many will survive these football games? :)

Before church yesterday (service was in the afternoon), Mama Kassie and I spent the morning washing our clothes, talking and preparing lunch. Man oh man, hand washing clothes is no joke!! It was a good time though, just to sort of chill, be outside, be productive, but also that it was an enjoyable time.

So today, it’s back to UCBC to do a little bit of work and preparation for the re-start of classes this week. I don’t think I have to teach until Monday, but I know I should get something together for what we’ll go over in class… Ah wow, I’m still a bit surprised when I remember that I’m teaching now ;)

Anyway, I wanted to update now, because it's been about a week since I was online... And wanted to let ya'll know some of the things that have been going on! :) I'll write again soon... And plan to upload some of the photos from the last month or so, as well!

Love,
Bethany

3 comments:

baraka said...

Good to hear from you. I always wondered what the holidays were like in Congo. I hope that as Congo and Africa develop church remains at the core of the holidays... Or should I I say CHRISTMAS!

Anonymous said...

what are you teaching?? the Realities class or comps? i can just hear you now as the students are teasing you or getting outta line - lay down the law, sista!

Anonymous said...

Ah, that's awesome that you acutally celebrated New Years..I think I spent most of the reading! I'm glad you're doing great!
-Hannah =)