Friday, January 23, 2009

what now?

Hello all!

I don't know how much of the news you can / do keep up with, especially about the DR Congo... But today we are receiving news that the rebel leader of the CNDP, Laurent Nkunda, has been captured and is being held in Rwanda.

Here is a link to the BBC news article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7846339.stm

On Tuesday, several thousand Rwandan military came across the border at several places including Goma, and headed towards Rutshuru. The CNDP have joined forces with them, and the FARDC are not opposing them. They are in Congo to catch the Interahamwe, the Hutu soldiers responsible for the Rwandan genocide in 1994. The people around Goma an anxious - will the foreign troops be able to help? Will they capture the right people, or will peaceful Hutu farmers in that area be harassed or worse?

We've been told that the parliament in Kinshasa has reacted strongly against this deal by the negotiating team. The parliament was not consulted before President Kabila signed the agreement: overnight, what was first tagged as, ‘observers and advisors’ has turned into 5,000 troops. We first were informed that there would be about 2,000 Rwandan troops but fears that the number would be larger, seem to be true. Please pray for justice, and for protection for innocent and helpless people.

Way up north in Beni, Nord-Kivu - we are not experiencing the same as those around Goma and Rutshuru. We have children walking to school, some are sent home for arriving too late, mothers are still working in their shambas (gardens), fathers are still going to work in town, or looking for work. Life is still pretty normal. Sure, there are the occasional skirmishes with the “law,” but overall, Beni is quiet.

But we are not above the concern for our neighbors in the south; the uncertainty of this offensive has left many of us questioning the good this could bring. Will it help and protect the innocent? Will it bring the Interahamwe to justice? Or will more innocent lives act as currency for this long-lasting struggle to just LIVE?

This country is full of so many beautiful and valuable resources, but is lacking in infrastructure and direction. People are dying of Malaria, an easily treatable disease – which has touched even me! Medicines are not that expensive, and they are fast-acting, but they cost more than what most can afford. One of our students was sent to the hospital yesterday – she was so hot, it frightened me. Her skin was turning red from her very high fever, and yet she was shivering. This young woman most likely has a high degree of Malaria. But not many are as fortunate as she, to be taken to a hospital – when most do not live near enough to a clinic or hospital. And even if they do, the meds can cost more than a week’s wages. There are educated people – without a chance to get a job at all, much less in their field of study. This country is starving, on top of some of the richest soil in the world.

Here is another link, to an article on the BBC about the difficulty to get employment in the DR Congo – it has a lot of historical information, which might be helpful as well. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7824870.stm

A day does not go by where I’m not asked about my family and friends, the financial crisis in the US (and world, really), and (especially since Tuesday), what will Obama do for the Congolese? It’s exciting to see a new chapter of American politics (leadership), begin. I think it’s healthy for a regular and smooth change-over of power. Otherwise – I think we’d find ourselves with leaders and dictators like Mugabe (president of Zimbabwe), Mobutu or worse.

In fact, here is another link to another article on BBC news, about the impact of George W Bush on Africa. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7831460.stm - Pretty interesting!

I was happy to see the class that was displayed by President and Mrs. Obama as they kindly and (I hope) respectfully waved goodbye to former President and Mrs. Bush. It allowed me to think that this could be a new and positive beginning for the next four years of politics in America. But then again, another politician is in the white house, not the Pope. When I’m asked about Obama and what will he do in Africa – I wonder. Will he do anything? How many people, around the world, might be disappointed by him and his administration, after singing his praises? So my desire is that we not place too much in this one man, this one team… And even the opposite, that we not distrust him / them too much. But if we keep our hope and trust in the Lord, then He will carry us and the President, through the next four (and even more) years.

Hope. That is something that the Congolese live off of. That is something that we cling to. We must have hope. Hope for change, hope for the future, hope for something better. But with hope, we also must have action. So we hope, and pray that something can be done.

Ok well I think I’ve written a fairly long enough reflection for now… Thank you for reading. Thank you for thinking of me, and praying for me. Thank you for sending me emails. I am touched by the love that I receive from my loved ones outside of Congo.

With love,
Bethany

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany! I just finished reading your heartfelt and poetic entry. How my heart goes out to the people of the Congo and the politaical upheaval that surrounds you and the university as I keep you all and the country in prayer. Your words are humbling in refernce to Obama as I too am looking to the future for change but wisdom and good direction for this country not just another leader in whatever form. Thank your for your work in Africa and how you are furthering God's Kingdom day in and day out. Be blessed! My love to you dear friend.

Lauren

Mike Taylor said...

Bethany:

Just heard from your dad while at hockey practice last weekend - you were in Africa! Wow, please know I am praying for you while in Africa and beyond!

Be Peace!

Mike Taylor - former Youth in Gov't advisor...

Anonymous said...

jeez, you make me want to jump up and go to Africa right now. gosh I wish I could!
Stay safe chica! I love you!
-Hannah