Monday, December 7, 2009

Rain

Friday, December 4, 2009

Before leaving the States… Many people asked if it would be the rainy season when I arrived in Beni. I would simply laugh and say, I don’t know! People here tell me that Beni has seasons of rain or sun, but during my time in Beni last year, I never saw it.

It would rain for three days and then we’d have sunshine and no rain for ten. Sometimes we’d have 10 minutes (or 3 hours) in a day and sunshine for the next four. It seemed to happen like this throughout the whole year I was here. “I’m convinced that there are no seasons,” I would proclaim!

Since I’ve gotten to Beni on the 15th of November, it has rained every single day. Sometimes all day long. Sometimes just a quick shower in the morning or for a few hours in the middle of the night...

This morning I woke up to the sound of rain (which I could hear in spite of the earplugs!), around 5am-ish. It continued until nearly 7am. Now at 12:15pm, I’m watching dark clouds approach the school.

I guess there is a rainy season after all. We’re certainly in it.

No comments: