Thursday, February 23, 2012

Telling a different story - CI

Telling a Different Story - from Congo Initiative


       
Kipepeo Reflections: Telling a Different Story 
Do you want to make a tangible difference in the lives of Congo's future leaders? Join Kipepeo Partners today and help us meet our goal of 50 partners by March 1. We only need 10 more sign-ups! Find out more about Kipepeo Partners.

One of our Partners shares her story below:

*****************************************

A couple years ago, I spoke with a law student from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. As we shared our life stories, I tried to recall everything I had read about the D.R. Congo on the internet or in books. But my mind blanked. The next morning, as coffee brewed, I decided to re-educate myself on the D.R. Congo's history, people, and beautiful terrains. My first questions were close to home. "If I were a Congolese woman, what would my life be like? What are their standards of beauty, roles in the home, and recent accomplishments?" As I typed "Congolese women" into my browser, I assumed the search would yield websites on Congolese literature, political developments, and colorful printed fabrics. 

Instead, page after page was all about rape. War crimes. FDLR rebels (a remnant of Hutu forces) systematically destroying the reproductive capabilities of women. Besides a few charity efforts, few websites actually celebrated Congolese women; one article celebrated a doctor for his reconstructive surgeries of them. Gaping in disbelief, I then did a Google search for "American women." Immediately, links to songs, literature, "famous firsts" of American women, and women-only fitness centers popped up. Most links celebrated their beauty and strength. 

The difference between my two searches could not have been more drastic. 

The results grieved me for days. It was as if my whole world came to a stand-still. Friends asked why I would tear up at coffee, or on the way to the metro. Each time I answered them and shared why, I was surprised that others -- like me -- were completely unaware of the situation. Almost a week later, in sheer frustration, I confronted God. "Why are you letting me grieve? Why am I mourning? Obviously you've put this on my heart for a reason, but my tears are unproductive. Please give me an answer. Show me why D.R. Congo is on my heart." When I found out about the Congo Initiative, my prayers were answered. There was something I could do to help! 

As soon as I found out about the work of Congo Initiative, I started giving to their programs monthly, and praying for them. While I have never been to the D.R. Congo, it means so much to me that Congo Initiative is working to build up strong and courageous women and men who will lead the D.R. Congo's future generations. I am inspired that Congo Initiative is promoting justice and nation-building on their campus...a campus where women are being respected, valued, and equipped for leadership! And, I am grateful that Congo Initiative is caring for disadvantaged women, and teaching them important skills. I wish I had even more to give. Being a Kipepeo Partner is the least I can do to help.

Davita Maharaj
Masters candidate in International Human Rights Law
Oxford University

*************************************************** 

We are proud of the fact that roughly 45% of the current student body at UCBC is female. This is radical for a country in which the national average is around 10%. This embodies a different story about the women of D.R. Congo--a story marked by the hope and potential of their unique place as future leaders.

Join Davita and others today by making a monthly pledge of support. Your gift will go toward covering the critical tuition costs that so many of our deserving students are unable to meet. Choose an amount that fits your budget. You will be making a real impact in the education and formation of a new generation of leaders. We only need 10 people to join to help us meet our March 1 goal of 50 Kipepeo Partners. Thank you in advance for partnering with us!


Become a Kipepeo Partner Today 
For more information about Congo Initiative or UCBC, please go to the websites, below.

www.congoinitiative.org
www.ucbc.org

No comments: