Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Enough with the pity - Chelsie Frank's blog

Here is a thought-provoking blog posting from my colleague and friend, Chelsie Frank.
"Stop the Pity"...please.
I know many well-intentioned people are concerned for my safety and health. Their first questions are about the violence: "Oh, but isn't it dangerous over there?" This is kind. Other times they are curious about how I live and function in a context that they perceive as 'unimaginable'. This is often accompanied with one of two reactions: 1. Oh I don't know how you do that (making me into some sort of 'super'-human. or 2. Wow, that is so great that you are doing that, bless your heart (making me into a saint). In my earlier years I would welcome these comments because I felt like it was a form of encouragement. Yet, as I matured into my identity as a foreigner working in a professional role, practising my faith with my colleagues, serving others, and learning about the complexities of the region I didn't feel the need for a special status. I began to see myself as a small part of a bigger mission. I saw my Congolese colleagues that served their people tirelessly and with scarce resources. When I thought about giving up my lattes, comfortable home, fast internet, and reliable plumbing it holds only a sliver of significance. 

No comments: