Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Three days until Christmas... Are you ready? :)

It's weird to think that people around the world are preparing for Christmas with trees, snow, cookies and eggnog. At least, I always thought people around the world prepare for Christmas in some way. Here, Christmas is this Thursday and life seems to be no different from last month. Maybe it's only in the USA (or just the west), where people spend weeks (months, sometimes), getting ready to observe a day that is becoming more about the food that is eaten and the gifts that are received – then about God humbling Himself and coming to earth so that we, so that I, may be saved.

I'm told that Christmas isn't really celebrated like it is in other countries… In Kampala, Uganda, for example – the shops are full of people buying, selling, looking, etc. But here in Beni? It's quiet. Today is just another day in another week in another month… I guess that's why I am surprised when I see the date… Or when I saw Noé put Christmas lights up in the family room. However, Christmas is here, we have our last day of classes tomorrow, and then two weeks off for Christmas vacation... Stevie is here for a month, and tonight we will start cooking and baking!

I thank God for family in the USA, and family in the DRC. I couldn't imagine not spending Christmas without family.

Merry Christmas

love,
Bethany

1 comment:

destinednomad said...

Merry Christmas Bethany!