Monday, May 25, 2009

lightening flash

Sunday was a beautiful day. I got up a little after 6, so that I could go to the 7am English service at church. April preached and frankly, it’d been since about November or December since I attended this service… Well it’s just so dang early! But it was good to go and reconnect with the people who attend the service and praise in English!

Anyway, April, Meredith and I went to church while the boys stayed at home sleeping / resting… When we got back around 9, they hadn’t cooked so I started preparing breakfast for all of us with Meredith. It was a hot morning – especially sitting in the sun cutting veggies for the eggs!

But then, in the early afternoon, I could see dark clouds coming closer and closer. At one point Justin said, “listen.” And we could hear the coming rain, on the leaves of the trees in the palm forest. Moments later, as the sky grew darker we saw a flash of lightening. And a split second later, a crack of thunder that was the loudest I’d heard since being in Congo. It was a sharp pop and crackle, probably striking a nearby tree! And it was so loud. A minute or so later, we saw another flash light up the afternoon sky – quickly followed by another loud electric thunder strike. Then the rain came… And it just poured1

It was a beautiful twist to the day…

Going to the market a few hours later was an adventure as well… Sliding around on the back of a moto in the streets of Beni was an experience. But thankfully, with the exception of a little mud on my legs – no problems!


Next, I need to learn to drive a moto on my own, buy one, so that I can do this on my own! ;) hahah

6 comments:

The Chicken Lady said...

I LOVE storms. I know they can be dangerous, but so beautiful. And the earth looks so great after a good rain.

Good luck on learning to drive a moto. My kid want one, but I don't want her driving one here in America on the freeways! yikes.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I love storms; I wish I could have been there. =)

Anonymous said...

Oops, that last one was me!

Love, Hannah

Noé and Bethany said...

The storms here really are something else... So beautiful! I guess it's what keeps the Congo so green all year round.

I believe Congo has the most lightening strikes in the entire world... Can't remember though if those strikes are fatalities or just strikes that hit the ground... Interesting little tidbit! :)

Oh the motorcycle is a dream... I don't even know how to drive one! But, after learning... Well, who knows!

destinednomad said...

u seem to be enjoying every moment in dr congo. thanks for sharing it all... thanks also for your email.
and,
u should learn to ride the motorcycle. then you will have more reasons to perform your very own "motorcycle diaries" in dr congo.

Anonymous said...

I try to imagine that mud of Beni
I wish u a good luck in it(Beni)!
It is a gospel!