Friday, May 22, 2009

Beautiful Beni

Well... siku mingi (many days) since I last wrote...

But since writing, I read two articles about the DR Congo - one which Baraka suggested to me. It's titled, "There is No Congo," and it's really a surprising and difficult article to read.

There is another though, which was written a month later by another author - and I found it to be much more uplifting, encouraging and positive. It's also on ForeignPolicy.com and is called, "68 Million Congolese Can't Be Wrong." The article talks about why Congolese love their country - in spite of the challenges, difficulties and problems, outlined in the first article.

I hope you will read and reflect on these articles...

The DR Congo... Beni is worth fighting for. It should not be wiped off the map or disregarded. This land are her people deserve a chance to fight for themselves. What can we do to help?

I've finally uploaded some more photos... Enjoy!

With love
Bethany

2 comments:

Jerry Price said...

Great pics Bethany and yes the smiling was infectious. I read the articles and agree with the one that was uplifting. The Congo is in a storming position where a buy in to what it means to be Congolese is at stake. Thank you for sending the articles and updating me. Judy and I will be in Wisconsin in June for about a month. It will be good!

The Chicken Lady said...

The pictures are awesome. And, yeah, don't stop smiling. I know we didn't get to know you as well as I got to know your mom, but you are such a beautiful chick with a beautiful spirit. We are proud of what you all are doing over there!