Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Update letter

As I look back on the past two years, the word that permeates my mind is “incredible.” When I left the States in 2008 to work with the Christian Bilingual University of Congo (UCBC), I didn’t know what to expect. I knew the Lord would probably do remarkable things in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but I didn’t know how, or that I’d be witness to so much of it. And I didn’t know how much he would work in my own life. My own presuppositions have been challenged, and beliefs strengthened.

It’s hard to believe that in a short amount of time, I have seen so many changes not only in my own life, but at the university: we have a beautiful community center that while under construction can hold classes, our student body keeps growing (and we expect close to 400 students this year!), we have received full accreditation from the government (for more about that, please ask!), our teachers and staff have taken ownership in UCBC and the students, we have welcomed teachers and visitors to UCBC from around the world, and our students have developed a new kind of reputation around Beni – one that respects and honors the people within the community.

The name of UCBC is spreading throughout the country and the Great Lakes Region of Africa. I am continuously amazed when students come from not just far-off places within Congo, but also other countries such as Tanzania! We continue to see our students grow and develop. Our staff has slightly increased in number. Overall this past year was a challenging and good year in Beni! In spite of the difficulties, hope remained and the blessing of the Lord was shown. It is fulfilling to work where I am called, and to have pride in my job.

I will return to the Congo, for my 3rd year, working as the International Staff Coordinator again. Here in the States, I am working with potential teachers and staff to help them through the application process and also to prepare for their time living and working in the DR Congo. Teaching calculus or macroeconomics is one thing, but teaching it in the DR Congo, requires a different mentality and certain preparedness. I still help people prepare as best as they can, for their time, however long, in Congo.

My job continues to be working with the international staff – here and in the Congo. Last year it wasn’t easy, balancing all of the different personalities and expectations that people have – and trying to help ease people into the culture and lifestyle in which we live. In fact, at times it was downright discouraging and hard. But it was worth it. Our goal is to glorify our God and in doing so, to instruct the students and raise them up to change the trajectory of their country. Without solid teachers and staff, who are able to adapt to the culture, our students have little hope for their own futures. This makes my job worth it every day.

Additionally, I started teaching a Basic English course during the second semester. That was hard as well, since I don’t have a background in education or in English grammar! However, I did a lot of research and was able to work with others in building a curriculum. I’ll continue teaching this next year, and I’m really excited to do so – I feel much more prepared and ready to face this challenge. A training seminar that I was able to attend in early August also helped me a lot. Thank God for that!

On a personal note, I have been dating a wonderful man for the past year or so, who is from and works in Congo with me. His name is Noé and he is a professor of Psychology at UCBC, and very involved with the students and in the community. He is a strong Christian, who lives his life for Christ. Just before leaving Congo in June, he asked me to marry him, and I said yes! We are both committed to the Lord as well as to the work in Congo. Getting married does not change the call that either of us has; we will continue serving in our same roles with UCBC and for the Lord.

Noé and I intend to be married next year. Not long after that, we hope to return to the States so I can further my own education, allowing me to be better equipped for my job at UCBC. Therefore I will need to stay in the Congo longer, in order to prepare the UCBC team and my replacement, for my absence. After our time in the States, we will return to Beni, to continue working at UCBC.  

In order to stay in Congo through 2011, I will need to raise $18,000. This equates to $1,000 a month which will cover my food, some transportation to and from UCBC, flights, visas, and other bills while in Congo. After that, we hope to be in the States for our own education, before returning again to Beni to continue working with UCBC. Please prayerfully consider joining my support team – together we can work to bring a God-glorifying future to the people of the DR Congo.

I know this is a lot of money to raise in support. And if I’ve only learned one thing since joining UCBC, it’s that the Lord is the one who provides. In order to raise this amount of financial support, it will take a miracle and a work of God. But I believe that our God is able to do things that seem impossible and unimaginable. Pray with me for this necessary support, and for the work that is being done in Congo. There has been and will continue to be problems and obstacles at UCBC and in the country. Our weapon in overcoming these challenges is prayer. Knowing that you are in prayer for me, the work and the people of Congo would mean a lot. Thank you. And God bless you.

Peace,
Bethany 

No comments: